Every day consumers use social media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube – to share information about local businesses, ask for company recommendations and look for help when making buying decisions.
Like it or not, social media is a critical component of business success. But for some HVAC business owners, knowing how to use social media successfully is another story. At first, social media can be intimidating — almost like learning a new language. In the end, though, taking the time to engage correctly pays off in dividends.
“Regardless of your industry or business size, social media can be a powerful tool to grow your business. It can help you get more visibility, reach out to a broader audience and generate more qualified leads,” writer Shane Barker said in Small Business Trends. “Not only can it help you increase your sales and revenue, but it can also help you create more cost-effective campaigns. You can leverage social media to gain more credibility and improve your brand recall value.”
The first step to any new learning experience is understanding the lingo. There’s a slew of social media-related terms, and some have become part of everyday speak:
- Viral (as in viral or widely shared content)
- Hashtag (that symbol that used to be a pound sign #)
- Audience (the customers you’re targeting)
While others still need a bit of explanation:
- Targeting (defining and selecting a specific audience)
- Engagement (any interaction between your business and a customer via social media)
- Impressions (the number of times viewers see your social media posts)
With the new language in mind, consider the following to develop your image on social media:
- Identify your target audience
Homeowners? Business owners? Small companies? Large companies? All of the above? The first step in formulating your social media strategy is determining who will be interested in your services.
- Create targeted content
Consider what your target audience wants to know and build off of it. For example, if your target audience is homeowners, then produce information about how the seasons can impact an HVAC system and why seasonal tune-ups are a good option.
- Watch your competition
Don’t be afraid to examine your competitor’s social media pages to get an idea of what works (just don’t copy them).
- Determine the platforms
Think about what image you want to project and how you want your word to get out. Facebook is the most commonly used platform, but others, like YouTube and Instagram, are good options.
- Engage early and often
Encourage back and forth conversations with your customers via social media by asking questions and talking about your services. Show your personality. Let customers get to know you and your business.
- Keep your personal life to yourself
Keep anything that may be construed as controversial off your social media posts. Period.
Ultimately, the main objective of social media activities is to spark interest in your business. Social media provides a terrific opportunity to reach those who need your services.
One of the many ways EverRest supports its clients is by partnering with marketing, operations and financial businesses. These partnerships aim to help our clients keep technicians in 4 to 5 homes daily.
Our marketing partners are experts in their fields, with some specializing in social media engagement as well:
- Hudson,Ink designs strategies for contractors to increase lead generation, customer retention and referrals. Hudson,Ink also works with HVAC companies to improve their online visibility.
- Walker 360 creates online and printed marketing tools for EverRest clients to build brands.
- Precision Media provides access to call-center experts who contact customers and schedule appointments to keep technicians in 4 to 5 homes a day.
- CI Web Group supports companies by providing digital marketing strategies, including branding, marketing, public relations and content writing.
No matter how you pursue your social media plan, remember that EverRest supports you every step of the way. Please contact our partners via the information on our website to learn their role in your success. When you pair EverRest’s proven strategies with a carefully cultivated social media campaign, you’re bound to come out on top.